corrupted files

Alex Laney alex at xicom.uucp
Sat Dec 23 01:49:27 AEST 1989

In article <840 at stsim.ocs.com> glenn at stsim (glenn ford) writes:
>I am running SCO386 2.3.1, and have a problem.  There are several (15-20)
>corrupted files in my root directory that I can't seem to delete.  I have
>tried 'rm -i *', but when I come across the corrupted file it just says
>non-existent, and goes onto the next file.  Is there a way to delete these
>files?? In prvious problems such as this I would do rm -r, but I can do
>it this time since the bad files are in the ROOT directory.  Any help
>would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

(I hope you have an up-to-date backup before you try anything)

This sounds like your '/' directory file is corrupt, not that you have
corrupted files. I first off would say that you should go into
maintenance mode and run 'fsck.' If that doesn't find any problems, then
I think you should check that the inodes that those
files show are in actual use. They shouldn't be. You could create
enough null files in /tmp through a shell script so that those inodes
are in use, and then 'rm' the ones in / and then the ones in /tmp.

--
Alex Laney, Xicom Group, National Semiconductor, Ottawa, Canada (613) 728-9099
uunet!mitel!sce!xicom!alex (alex at xicom.uucp)     Fax: (613) 728-1134