Looking for smart serial ports for Unix

root root at ozdaltx.UUCP
Thu Dec 14 03:30:33 AEST 1989

We have: SCO XENIX 2.2.3, Arnet 4-port Smartboard, 4, 2400b modems -
assorted flavors, all Hayes compatable.

Phil Hughes writes:
> Willy Paine writes:
>> I have SCO Unix 3.2, Telebit T2500 and Hayes 2400.  I am still looking
>> for smart or multiple serial ports board.   I have Arnet Smartport but
>> this has alot of problem getting modem to work on different baudrates.

We're running into the same problem also.  Often them modem dosn't
reset back to 2400b after a caller (at 1200 or 300b) hangs up.
I've tried setting modem to B0 and B1, B1 seems to work better as far
as a good connect, but again, dosn't always reset to 2400.
This happens on the COM ports as well as the Smartboard.

>> I have also tried in Xenix but it is still problem with gettydefs.
>> Both modems works fine with regular com port but I need four serial
>> ports.

Again, basicly the same problem.  2 modems on COMs 1 & 2, 2 on the
Smartboard.  Modems on the board don't always know when CD is lost.
Have tried ignoring CD, but if I do, the system won't hang up the
line, it just goes back to login.

Last night something really weird happened.  I was resetting one of
the modems on the Arnet board, via a comm program, when I got an
incomming uucp call on COM1.  All of a sudden, I started getting the
feed from uucp on my screen - I exited the comm program and it also
killed the uucp feed as well.  Thoughts on this one???

Here's a copy of a part of my gettydefs file, does anything need to be
changed?

1 # B2400 SANE HUPCL ECHOE ISTRIP CS8 CR1 NL1 -CLOCAL #
    B2400 SANE HUPCL CS8 ECHOE TAB3 IXANY -CLOCAL #
\f\nOZ - AIDS INFO EXCG BBS\nEnter your handle or type help\nLogin: # 2

> Why do you want to run different baud rates?....

I don't have a choice, most callers still use 1200b, a few (thank
goodness) use 300 and the rest, 2400b.

Scotty

AIDS INFORMATION EXCHANGE BBS      (214) 247-2367/247-5609
               "Education is the best weapon"
     {ames,rutgers,texsun,smu}!attctc!ozdaltx!sysop