smart serial port boards (Arnet)

Wolf Kozel wlk at raider.MFEE.TN.US
Fri Dec 15 07:44:12 AEST 1989

Greetings!

   There is a problem with the Arnet Smartport and Telebit
modems.  It has to do with the Smartport buffering data in
its 64K buffer and sending it out to the Telebit in a chunk.
The Telebit modem gets confused.  With non-intelligent Multiport,
there is no problem.

  This does seem to be an industry-wide problem (from other postings
I've seen).  Intelligent cards have a problem with Telebit but
non-intelligent cards work fine.  We haven't been able to get any
help from Telebit.  We are on the verge of putting them on our non-
compatibility list.   It has been very frustrating for our support
people.  When I ask them, "what do you have to do to get a
Telebit modem to work?"  they say, "Well, you take a monkey paw
and a rabbit's foot and ....".  If you have a Smartport and Telebit
modems, I'd recommend calling us anyway.  If this is a big problem,
you can trade you Smartport for a Multiport temporarily.

  If you are having problems with our Smartport and regular modems,
give us a call (or reply to me via e-mail), and we'll send you the
most recent version of our driver.  There is no problem with modems
and our board working -- but the most recent 5.1.12 Xenix driver
eliminates some strange modem disconnect but modem doesn't recycle
problems.
                                        Wolf Kozel ( Arnet )