VP/ix, Xenix-386 2.3.2, VGA, keyboard problems?

Daniel Wynalda danielw at wyn386.UUCP
Sat Dec 16 07:55:07 AEST 1989

I just purchased VP/ix 1.1.0 for my 80386 AT Xenix machine.  This machine
is heavily loaded with TONS of stuff on it (VP/ix, full dev system,
Excelan LAN workplace, Digiware (16i), Xenix-Net, games, plus lots more).

I am having a problem with the keyboard functionality of VP/ix and
hope someone else would have had the same problem.  I've tried, believe me,
to find ANYTHING in the manual stating why it would be and I've played
with it extensively.  I hate to start my 30 days support over what might
be a trivial matter however.

Here's what I've got.  I installed the package and made a VP/ix user.
When I log into the user ID and call up VP/ix on the console (a
VGA card), the screen displays fine, but the keys all appear to be
mis-mapped.  (When I press the 'ALT' key, I get a CTRL-W, when I let
it up, it sends another one).  I know this has to do with keyboard mapping
and the files involved are probably setup wrong.  Could someone please
point me the way.

I have /usr/dosuser/vpix/vpix.cnf setup to know
VGAROM /usr/vpix/defaults/romvga, but changing this to EGA or omitting it
have no real effect (other than the way the screen displays).
I've tried playing with serial terminals with SIMILAR results.  If I
setup a wyse60 as a vt100 terminal and use vt100nam as terminal setup,
all runs well (pretty well anyway).   If I change this to a wyse60 terminal
(wy60 emulation) it loads up OK, but the keyboard input DOUBLES UP.
Basically if I type an 'A' I get 'AA'.  The 'R' key doesn't double up
though (strange bug, discriminates against the R key).

Anyway, I'm sure it's something dumb like I don't know how to setup
VP/ix's user file or something, but I'm not sure how to fix it.  Your
help, as always, is appreciated.  (and probably about 1 week quicker
than SCO's).

			Daniel Wynalda

PS.  Thanks to all who replied regarding my Archive tape drive not
working.  Things appear to be running fine now.  I had two options I could
have changed.  1-the interrupt 2 could be mapped to 25 in the kernel
(this worked!), and 2-change to DMA3, jumpers for DRQ and DACK to 3,
and all went OK with IRQ 5 (even though vectorsinuse said it was already
used).  My thanks to the overwhelming response from all.

--
Daniel Wynalda 	     | Telephone: (616) 866-1561 X22	 Ham: N8KUD
Wynalda Litho Inc.   | danielw at wyn386.UUCP wyn386!danielw at sharkey.cc.umich.edu
8221 Graphic Ind Pk. | I believe everyone should be responsible for their own
Rockford, MI  49341  | actions.  Thus I don't speak for this org. herein.