Core Dumps

Andrew P. Mullhaupt amull at Morgan.COM
Sun Dec 10 12:15:09 AEST 1989

I am porting a large program to SCO UNIX System/V 386 r3.2 and
it has acquired the habit of core dumping here and there. There
isn't a lot of use in looking at the dumps, which (due to data)
are about 8 MBytes. I have tried to find a limit I can put on
the size of core dumps, or a way to pipe them to /dev/null, etc.
because it's pretty annoying to wait for the thing to dump 8
MBytes before much else useful can be done with the machine.

I put a file in the directory with the name core, owned by
root and read only, but the dump still happens. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Mullhaupt