archive tape drives, xenix, how to setup

Daniel Wynalda danielw at wyn386.UUCP
Wed Dec 13 02:42:18 AEST 1989

I have an archive tape drive controller and archive tape drive (60MB drive)
that I would like to install in my system.  It ran "/usr/sys/conf/vectorsinuse"
and it told me that interrupts 3,4,5,6,7 were all in use so I selected
IRQ 2 on the jumper and for the installation of the tape drive.  For TYPE
of drive, I selected "A" (assuming that means archive), and for DMA I
selected 1.  Memory location is set to 200H.

These settings appear to be OK for XENIX (SCO XENIX 386 2.3.2) as the
tape cycles as Xenix boots and it shows on the device list.  The problem
I get is when I try to do a "tape reset" or "tape reten" for example.
"tape reset" will reset the tape drive but hangs indefinitely.  "tape reten"
basically just gives me an error saying "can't open device /dev/xct0".

If anyone has this drive running on their system, could you please mail
me your setup parameters?  I tried another controller and drive (same type)
and get the same problem so I THINK it is just a setting.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe the model # on the drive is something like 5945 (archive scorpion?).
The drives at home and I'm at work.  Thanks for any help you can be.

			Daniel Wynalda
--
Daniel Wynalda 	     | Telephone: (616) 866-1561 X22	 Ham: N8KUD
Wynalda Litho Inc.   | danielw at wyn386.UUCP wyn386!danielw at sharkey.cc.umich.edu
8221 Graphic Ind Pk. | I believe everyone should be responsible for their own
Rockford, MI  49341  | actions.  Thus I don't speak for this org. herein.