Looking for a serial card and nedd some help

Terry Klarich klarich at a.cs.okstate.edu
Sun Dec 3 09:15:23 AEST 1989

To all the Xenix people out there:
I am looking for a used but working 4 or greater port serial card.  It doesn't
necessarily need to be smart.  However, I would like to have the docs and xenix
2.3.2 drivers.  Also, I would prefer the db-25 connectors and modem control
lines.

One other thing, I have a card having two serial ports which can use irq
lines 2 3 4 and 5.  I looked in the mkdev serial stuff and there are provissions
for com3 and com4.  So, I added 2 entries in the sioconf.c file.

com3: irq5 minor4
com4: irq2 minor12

I also replaced the irq3 and irq4 (33 34) entries in the master file with 5 and
2.  Since the parellel driver likes irq5, i replaced this with 0 and put 1 in
the second column.  I then typed make.  after linking, I copied the new file to
/xenix.test.  When rebooting, I got the message bad magic number.  after
booting with /xenix, i copied /xenix to /xenix.try and removed /xenix.test.
When booting xenix.try, I still got bad magic number.  Since xenix.try is a
copy of xenix, I figured it would reboot ok.  I even tried branding xenix.try
but, to no avail.  Lastly, I reinstalled the link kit (no effect).

If anyone can inform me as to the cruel and enjust punnishment I have enflicted
upon my computer or maybe help me with a serial card, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks

Terry Klarich (klarich at a.cs.okstate.edu) n5hts
A man is not complete until he is married then, he is finished.