the scrambled getty?

Barton A. Fisk barton at holston.UUCP
Sun Dec 17 10:06:46 AEST 1989

Pardon me if this has already been discussed, but lately I am
having a puzzling problem.

Hardware: 286 pc, USR 2400 modem

Software: SCO 2.2.1, news, mail, etc.

Problem:
Whenever a system dials in to transfer mail/news, frequently
the getty that is respawned after that system disconnects is
not associated with the outside world. A kill -9 has no effect
at all. Disable/Enable doesn't help. ps still shows a getty
running, however where there is usually a "?" in the tty column,
there is now "tty2E" (the modem line).

Any attempt to dial-out gets a "line in use" error or worse,
just plain hung.

Does anyone know what's going on? Is there a fix for this?
All help appreciated...

--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell}vector!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton at holston.UUCP