Problem with uucp login with SCO XENIX 2.3.1

Steve Manes manes at marob.MASA.COM
Tue Jan 10 10:54:31 AEST 1989

>From article <397 at mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US>, by root at mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey):
> I discovered that the home directories created by mkuser in /usr/spool/uucp
> had vanished mysteriously.
> It appears to me (whether documented or not) that this is a considerably
> devastating problem created by SCO by shipping the release with such a setup.

Hey, it's a *feature*! It's nice having a UUCP demon clean up all those
unneeded spool directories, especially if you allow anonymous UUCP
logins.  Seriously though, the oversight is mkuser's using
/usr/spool/uucp/XXX for the /etc/passwd home directory.  Most BNU
installations just specify a single communal directory with read/write
permissions for UUCP, like /usr/spool/uucppublic.  This is just to get
past 'login'.  /usr/spool/uucp directories will still be created as
needed as needed.

--
Steve Manes		Roxy Recorders, Inc.		Magpie-HQ BBS
UUCP : {rutgers|cmcl2}!hombre!magpie!manes		(212)420-0527