apparent cron lockup

Jim Morris morris at dms.UUCP
Tue Jan 31 12:48:41 AEST 1989

>From article <286 at berner.UUCP>, by richard at berner.UUCP (Richard Greenall):
>
> I have been having a problem with the cron utility under XENIX 368
> version 2.3.1.  When cron is started , it will run for a while, and
> then apparently lock up, not running any more jobs until it
> is stopped, and then restarted again.
>
> Does anybody know what is happening, and whether it is something
> I am doing or this is an actual bug in cron?

Yes, I have the same problem.
The cure appears to be to put a dummy entry that will make cron wake up
every hour. This was suggested to me by someone at SCO.

I did the following which "cured" the problem:
put the following line in /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/root

10 * * * * /bin/true

	thats it. I don't have a clue why it fixes the problem.

--
Jim Morris.         			 morris at dms.UUCP or weitek!dms!morris
           Atari Games Corporation, Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.