Xenix 386 v2.3 bug?

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Thu Jan 5 16:39:29 AEST 1989

In article <3393 at ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, tuck at iris.ucdavis.edu (Devon Tuck) writes:
> Regarding the memory parity error,  we had the same problem.  None of the
> standard tests we ran gave any indication of problems.  [..]

When i installed my intel above board 286/ps into my 386 machine, i had a bad
memory chip on it (unknown to me at the time, of course (:-(..).  I ran the
intel diagnostics (testab.exe) on the silly thing for >100 times w/o a single
error being detected.

I later talked to an intel tech who admitted that the intel diagnostics were
(i'm paraphrasing slightly here:) "rather lame."  He admitted that the
diagnostics did not really test extended memory!!  I guess 'cause dos doesn't
use it very well (the extended memory, that is) that memory wasn't really
required to be tested.

I also talked to my wholesaler's tech, who stated that he had seen (memory)
chips completely removed from the board and the diagnostic still ran w/o one
error!!!!!

Thats amazing.

derek
--
Derek Terveer 	    det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG || ..!uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det
		    w(612)681-6986   h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain