Reasonable minimum disk capacities for sco xenix

Frank C. Paterra paterra at xanth.cs.odu.edu
Fri Jan 6 11:18:23 AEST 1989

Hi there Netlanders!!

My company (after much prodding from me) has decided that we should use
our 16mhz, IBM PS/2 Model 80 as a xenix system.  Currently we have one
77 meg drive and 2 meg of ram.  The system will have to support ~10
users, but most of the time ~6 will be using it concurrently and the
major application will be Microsoft Word.  Now that I got the company
to sign up to it I have some concerns.

	- How much disk space should we allow for the os including
	  swap?  We are buying the full system (os + text package +
	  development package)

	- We will be initially adding 2 megs of ram, and will be using
	  an intelligent communications board (probably arnet).  Will
	  the Model 80 give us enough power?

	- I proposed Wyse 60 or IBM 3151 terminals because they were
	  listed as supported by Microsoft Word.  Whats the downside
	  of these and what other terminals should we consider?

	- What do you suppose I forgot?  This is the first non-pc/mac
	  system we will have in our office and if it doesn't fly too
	  well the non-computer engineers will have a fit, so if there
	  are any standard pit falls that I might have to avoid, I'd
	  really like to know them.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Frank Paterra
paterra at xanth.odu.cs.edu