Problem w/doscp command. Possible bug?

Brian A. Jarvis brian at jtsv16.UUCP
Tue Jul 18 00:36:03 AEST 1989

In article <4341 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bt455s39 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) writes:
>I'm having difficulty copying more than 14 files at a time with the doscp
>command.  I am running SCO XENIX 2.3.1 on an Everex 3000A 16MHz 386 w/3MB
>of RAM, 64K cache, 183MB Maxtor hard disk w/Adaptec 2372B RLL 1:1 controller.
>151MB XENIX partition, 32MB PC-DOS 3.20 partition.  Here is the scenario...
>
># doscp *.MAC c:/egamac<Return>
>
>It begins copying all the files in the current directory with the MAC extension
>to an existing subdirectory named "egamac" on the DOS partition.  But, it stops
>after the 14th file (a total of 268,416 bytes) and displays this error.
>
>doscp: no memory for buffers
>					Thanks in advance,
>						--Carmen

I saw this bug back with SCO XENIX 386 2.3, after upgrading from 2.2.3 (if
memory serves).  I send e-mail to SCO about it, then got a call back from
a techie there who said he had duplicated the problem and that after
recompiling the 'doscp' function under 386 mode instead of 86 mode, everything
was fine.  He sent a copy of the new executable on a diskette a couple of
days later and it ran fine on my system.

A few months later, we upgraded to 2.3.2 and found that the old executable
hadn't been replaced!  God, I hate it when people don't or can't learn from
their mistakes (or vicariously, from someone else's), particularly when they
went through the trouble of creating an appropriate fix!  *sigh*

Brian

   __                         __	Brian A. Jarvis,
  /  )  ...jtsv16!brian      /  )	J.T.S. Computer Systems Ltd.,
 /--<  __  o __.  ____      /--/	Downsview, Ontario
/___/_/ (_<_(_/|_/ / <_    /  ( o	My dog, Goof, still says "Hi!"

"Lord, defend me from my friends; I can account for my enemies." - D'Hericault