Installing news on SCO Xenix 386

Bob Leffler bob at rel.mi.org
Tue Jul 18 08:47:35 AEST 1989

In article <428 at holston.UUCP>, barton at holston.UUCP (barton) writes:
> In article <12680 at well.UUCP>, llz at well.UUCP (Lyle Zumbach) writes:
> > Version 2.3.1.  The software seems to compile just fine, but when
> > I try to run readnews or postnews I get the following error:
> > readnews: Segmentation violation -- Core dumped
> I have been getting the same error for some time. We are running
> the binaries sco distributed free. It seems to manifest itself
> on our system (286 sco 2.2.1/5MEG Ram) whenever there are new
> directories created in the news SPOOLDIR in large numbers.
> Can anyone tell me what is actually causing this problem? Any
> suggested permanent solutions. Apparently, since 386's are

I've been running 2.11.17 version on Xenix/286 2.2.1 without a hitch.
I will admit that I use vnews instead of readnews, which might
explain why I never have seen the error.

For those interested, I ran 2.11.14 on Xenix/86 for a couple  years
without any major problems. (except cpu cycles :^)  )

bob

--
Bob Leffler - Electronic Data Systems, Financial Information Services Division
3044 West Grand Blvd., Room 11-101, Detroit, MI 48202 (313) 556-4474