Installing news on SCO Xenix 386

barton barton at holston.UUCP
Sun Jul 16 12:10:17 AEST 1989

In article <12680 at well.UUCP>, llz at well.UUCP (Lyle Zumbach) writes:

> This is my first news posting ... please be gentle.
>
> I have just subscribed to UUNET and I am trying to install Version
> 2.11 B of netnews on my Compaq 386/20/4MB RAM running SCO XENIX 386
> Version 2.3.1.  The software seems to compile just fine, but when
> I try to run readnews or postnews I get the following error:
>
> readnews: Segmentation violation -- Core dumped

I have been getting the same error for some time. We are running
the binaries sco distributed free. It seems to manifest itself
on our system (286 sco 2.2.1/5MEG Ram) whenever there are new
directories created in the news SPOOLDIR in large numbers.

We have been able to manually (I hate that word) remedy the problem
by removing (gutting) all directories and their subdirectories in
the SPOOLDIR and then running "expire -r" followed by expire -e2.

This is a temporary solution however, since usually in a month or
so the problem surfaces again, forcing this song-and-dance to be
repeated.

Can anyone tell me what is actually causing this problem? Any
suggested permanent solutions. Apparently, since 386's are
also seeing this, is it fair to suggest there might be a bug?
Just conjecture on my part.
Thanks in advance.
Bart
By the way, running expire -e2 daily seems to by some time
inbetween manifestations.
--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell,vector}!warble!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | DOMAIN: barton at holston