Tape back on SCO - suggestions??

Bruce A. McIntyre bruce at mdi386.UUCP
Sat Jul 1 12:15:05 AEST 1989

In article <24A22AC7.14780 at ateng.com>, chip at ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> According to bruce at mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre):
> >The best bargin for the money seems to be the ARCHIVE FASTPE for 60MB of
> >storage for about $600, either Internal or External.
>
> Our experience has been nothing but trouble when an Archive tape is used in
> a fast I/O bus.  Tecmar tapes, on the other hand, work like a champ.
>
> Note that fast CPU's don't necessarily have fast I/O buses.  Check your
> hardware documentation.  Any faster than 6MHz -- maybe 8MHz, maybe -- and
> I would avoid Archive.

We have found the Archive drive runs very well on Compac, Mylex, IBM PS/2
and others.  I found that I could NOT run the DOS version at over 8mhz using
the SYTOS drivers, but when booted up at 16mhz or 20mhz with 10mhz bus speed,
there is no trouble.  We use the fix-disk drivers for the new short controller
board under SCO 2.3.2 and 2.3.3, and the old drivers (standard SCO) for
the older LONG board.  I use interrupt 5 since I don't have a mouse attached.
bruce
	Bruce A. McIntyre, McIntyre Designs, Inc. VOICE(215)322-1895
	143 Bridgetown Pike, Langhorne, Pa. 19047 DATA (215)357-2915
	{wells|lgnp1}!mdi386!bruce	bruce at wells tbit+

	Unix, Xenix, Netware and PC-DOS Applications development.
	Specializing in Database Applications since 1980.