Function Prototypes and SCO Xenix-386 C

Chip Rosenthal chip at vector.Dallas.TX.US
Sun Jul 30 13:47:18 AEST 1989

It really scares me to see so many people so concerned about prototypes
in cc.  It appears that they are trying to use them as a replacement for
lint, which they are not.  I say I'm concerned because lint currently
doesn't support prototypes, and I'm infering from this discussion that
this isn't even a concern for anybody.

Personally, I went on a prototype kick for about six months about two
years back.  Everything was strictly prototyped, and I had a set of
standard macros to elide the prototypes for lint.  I would say that during
this entire time, prototypes provided me absolutely no benefit whatsoever.

But then again, lint is an integral part of the way I develop.
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip at vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
"I wish you'd put that starvation box down and go to bed" - Albert Collins' Mom