Kernel too big!

Steven M. List itkin at mrspoc.Transact.COM
Sun Jul 9 02:36:59 AEST 1989

In article <24B521A8.8458 at ateng.com> chip at ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> 2.3 kernel and the kernel is too big to boot.  Since the boot process runs
> in real mode, you can't have more than 640K of code+data in your kernel --
> or so it appears, anyway.
>
> How can I boot a big kernel?  Is there any way around this problem?  Help!

We had the same problem.  Although it was not clear that this was the
problem.  We were trying to load in some tape drivers and multiport board
drivers and loadl pseudo-ttys and MultiView and...

Anyway, it seems that SCO has a modified version of /boot that will boot
a >640K kernel.  Have you checked with TechSupport?  We could always send
it to you if they don't/won't.