Kernel too big!

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.com
Sat Jul 8 07:33:28 AEST 1989

We thought we had this network thing figured out.  Unfortunately, the IBM
PC architecture came up and bit us in the behind.

SCO TCP/IP works fine.  SCO Xenix-Net works fine.  Put them together in a
2.3 kernel and the kernel is too big to boot.  Since the boot process runs
in real mode, you can't have more than 640K of code+data in your kernel --
or so it appears, anyway.

How can I boot a big kernel?  Is there any way around this problem?  Help!
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg         |       <chip at ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>