making AT&T 3B2 diskettes from XENIX

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Tue Jul 25 03:20:45 AEST 1989

In article <3622 at statware.UUCP> scf%statware.UUCP at cs.orst.edu (Steve Fullerton) writes:
>I have been trying to write diskettes to be read on an AT&T 3B2
>system.  From reading the 3B2 manuals and talking to users, the
>3B2 uses a 96 TPI DS/DD disk with 80 tracks, 512 byte sectors, and
>9 sectors per track.
[....]
>Everything seems okay as long as cpio doesn't require multiple disks,
>I am able to read the disk on a 3B2.

The 3B2 does not use the last track of the diskette (or perhaps uses it
for its own purposes).  Try "cp /dev/rSA/diskette1 /tmp/file", then
note the size of /tmp/file.  If you have afio you should be able to
specify that as the size of the device when creating the archive on
the xenix machine.  If you still have trouble, you might try formatting
the disks on the 3B2 (in case the contents of the last track are actually
used).
Going the other direction you should be able to copy the disks in using
appropriate options to dd to limit the size, then cat the files to cpio.

Les Mikesell