Scanners and XENIX

Matthew Larson matt at holmes.home.nwu.edu
Fri Jul 28 00:20:08 AEST 1989

I would like to run a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet Plus scanner on a 386PC based
system running SCO XENIX 2.3.  The scanner will only be used for scanning
photographs to be displayed on the monitor.  HP's Scanning Gallery software
that drives the scanner runs only under MS-DOS, and they tell me that there
are no plans for any XENIX version.  This leaves me with these questions:

1. Does anyone use scanners under SCO XENIX in a similar way?  If so, what
scanner/software combination are you using?  I'm not at all committed to the
HP scanner - I could use any scanner with pretty good resolution - 300dpi,
256 gray shades.

2. If scanning software is not available under XENIX, I'm willing to try to
run HP's software under VPix or Dos Merge.  HP tells me that their software
runs under Microsoft Windows/286.  Is Windows well-behaved enough to run under
either of these two packages?  Has anyone even tried HP's software running DOS
under XENIX?

Thanks in advance.
Matt Larson             Internet: matt at holmes.home.nwu.edu
Voice: (815) 226-3961       UUCP: ...!{oddjob,gargoyle}!nucsrl!holmes!matt
"I believe in the fundamental interconnectedness of all things." - Dirk Gently