Large disks with DOS/Xenix

William Davidsen davidsen at sungod.crd.ge.com
Wed Jul 12 04:11:23 AEST 1989

In article <1710 at hudson.acc.virginia.edu> wrp at biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:

| 	I am concerned that I will not be able to do this, because
| Xenix appears to only allow one DOS partition on a drive, and I am
| afraid that partition may be limited to 32 Mbyte.  Has anyone put
| a large (100 Mbyte) DOS partition on the same drive as Xenix? Or put
| multiple 32 Mbyte partitions.  If I cannot use a single drive for
| both Xenix and DOS as I wish, I may be better off getting 2 150 Mbyte
| drives.

  Xenix will allow about anything, but it only seems to use one
partition per drive, and that must be as follows:
	1. a "primary DOS partition"
	2. size <= 32MB
	3. starting at the beginning (cylinder 0) of the disk

  You can have other DOS partitions, but Xenix probably won't use them.
You might want to have a small 5-10MB primary DOS partition and then a
big one so you could use the primary as a buffer.

  Note: when running DOS partitions > 32MB you get a larger cluster size
and every file takes up more space. If you don't have large files you
may be happier with several small partitions.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen