Large disks with DOS/Xenix

Todd Merriman todd at stiatl.UUCP
Fri Jul 7 02:57:46 AEST 1989

In article <1710 at hudson.acc.virginia.edu> wrp at biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:
>I am planning on purchasing a 300 Mbyte ESDI drive to replace
>40 Mbyte and 30 Mbyte drives on my PC/AT (inboard 386).
>I would like to dedicate 200 Mbyte to Xenix, 100 Mbyte to DOS, and have both
>systems on the same drive.
>I am concerned that I will not be able to do this....

Why not consider using an MSDOS emulator, such as VP/IX, and not have any
MSDOS partitions.  With this configuration, you have only one o/s to boot;
and, the MSDOS and UNIX file systems can "see" each other.  Backups and file
sharing are much easier, and you can use the two o/s's simultaneously.
VP/IX has some problems with "ill-behaved" programs, though.

   ...!gatech!stiatl!todd
   Todd Merriman * 404-377-TOFU * Atlanta, GA