5.25 720 disks (problem solved)

Earl H. Kinmonth ked at garnet.berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 17 15:58:11 AEST 1989

Several days ago I reported the following problem:  720k 5.25 disks
made on my Italian Stallion Att 6310 (AT Clone) under MSDOS or Xenix
could not be read on a Zenith AT Clone (and presumably other AT clones).

I found the solution on SIMTEL20.  The latest version of fdformat (an
excellent German program that will format to the physical limits of
the drive and media) now contains a program fdread2.com.  Run once,
it kicks the Zenith in its privates, and once stunned, it reads my
720K disks.

I will supply fdformat and my version of pdtar in response to mail
requests to the address below.  My pdtar supports **IX <==> MSDOS
transfers with Xenix style partitioning.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
916-752-1636 (voice, fax [2300-0800 PDT])
916-752-0776 secretary

(bitnet) ehkinmonth at ucdavis.edu
(uucp) ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck
(telnet or 916-752-7920) cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.251]
	request ucdked, login as guest,
	no password