Cartridge Tape Units

Louis Schmittroth louis at cs.AthabascaU.CA
Wed Jul 26 12:05:50 AEST 1989

I have installed Colorado Memory Systems Jumbo cartridge tape units
on two diferent 386 machines running Xenix 2.3.  A Xenix driver comes
with the units.  On my machine here at home, the unit now tears up
tapes, and I am shipping it back.  On the other machine at a
customer site, the unit very often just stops during a tar and
hangs the computer!.  Also the only time I really had to do a
restore from a tape, the tape was unreadable.

So, I am looking for replacements, and willing to spend some more
money.  What is the concensus on cartridge tape units.  In each
case I can live with a 40MB unit, and if it takes 20 minutes to
write a tape that is OK too.

I might consider the Archive QIC 60 model ST600 Fastape which
comes with a controller for my AT bus, but I don't know if that
includes the Xenix driver, or if Xenix already has a driver.
Another one that I could afford is the Archive QIC XL 40MB model
5540 for the AT.  I would appreciate any comments on these or
other possibilities.

Please post or e-mail me.

Louis Schmittroth