duplicate L.sys entries

news administration news at amms4.UUCP
Thu Jul 6 06:58:48 AEST 1989

  In article <101 at mdi386.UUCP> bruce at mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) writes:
  >In article <36 at holston.UUCP>, barton at holston.UUCP (barton) writes:
  >>                     when I put 2 entries in my L.sys file for the
  >> same system, each w/different baud rates, uucp only sees the 1st
  >> entry and fails w/line in use error, totally ignoring the 2nd
  >> entry!

  >If you want to be able to use both, you have to use the default lowest
  >in L.sys, and if you make sure that the devices file shows that the port
  >attached to the 2400 can handle both 1200-2400, then UUCP will try both
  >ports at 1200. There is still only ONE L.sys entry per system, and it leaves
  >it up to UUCP to find the correct line.
  >If there is another way, I would like to know also.

Well, I have a slightly different situation - I have two different phone numbers
for one machine.  I have two L.sys entries, one for each phone number.  If the
first is busy, the second gets called.

This works.  I can't particularly see why it would _not_ work if the baud rate
is the different value and the phone number is the same.  Presumably, uucico
parses the entire entry each time, picks up the baud rate and then scans the
L-devices file for an appropriate line (unless it doesn't do things this way ??)

(Of course, we are running vanilla UNIX S5R2V1.5.  Out of curiosity, does
HoneyDanBer do things differently - does HDB even use an L.sys file?  Dunno -
but I wish I did :-)

--
		Harry					 |  reserved for
							 |  something really
Internet: hjg at amms4.UUCP   (we're working on registering)|  clever - any
UUCP: {jyacc, qtny, rna, bklyncis}!amms4!hjg		 |  suggestions?