Miniscribe 2180S SCSI drive and SCO Xenix 2.3GT

Jim O'Connor jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Sat Jul 29 11:34:02 AEST 1989

Is anyone out there using a Miniscribe 2180S SCSI drive with either 2.2.4
or 2.3GT Xenix?  I have one that I'm trying to install this weekend, but a
manual did not come with it (I can probably get one next week, but I'd like
to get this drive installed this weekend).  I need to know any relevant
jumper settings to get the drive to work with the AHA-1540 SCSI adapter.

One thing that has me worried, though, is that the drive doesn't seem to
spin up when the power is turned on, and there is a little green LED on the
controller board which flashes constantly.  I made have a bad drive.

When I try to access it from Xenix (e.g with the "mkdev hd" command) I get
the message "scsi: ERROR: ID 3: LUN 0: device not ready" (or something real
close to that) which makes me think the controller is OK, but something is
wrong with the drive itself.

My Quantum Q280, Syquest SQ555 disk drives, and Archive 2150S tape drives
all work fine, so it doesn't seem to be an adapter or cable problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially if it comes in a hurry. :-)
E-mail should get to me pretty fast, but calling 615-821-4022 (dial extension
214 when you hear the recording) would be even better.  If you can even verify
that if the drive doesn't spin up at power on (not all SCSI drives do), it's
broke, that would be great since I'd know to quit playing with it.

James B. O'Connor			jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request at tiamat.fsc.com" ***