Boot xenix from a second hard disk?

Frank Bicknell frankb at usource.UUCP
Mon Jul 31 05:30:22 AEST 1989

In article <351 at blekko.UUCP> skrenta at blekko.UUCP (Rich Skrenta) writes:
>Rather than making a bootable floppy, can I make my second hard disk
>bootable?  Is there some limitation which limits booting to the first
>hard disk, or can I write /etc/hdboot0 and /etc/hdboot1 to /dev/hd1a
>and boot with hd(111,0)xenix ?  Has anyone done this?

If all you want is to have the second hard disk as /root, I know
you can edit /etc/default/boot to do this.  Check the manual
under boot(ADM) (I think it's in the ADM section).  This doesn't
do exactly what you want (ie, really boot from the second disk),
but after the boot xenix prompt, the second hard disk is the
root device.

The parameter you want to change is:

DEFBOOTSTR=hd(40)xenix

change it so that the boot string specifies xenix on the second
drive (which I _believe_ is the 104 minor device number, but I'm
not sure and can't try it from my terminal here :) ).

Experiment with it.
--
Frank Bicknell
UniSource; 1405 Main St, Ste 709; Sarasota, FL 34236