Installing news on SCO Xenix 386

Lyle Zumbach llz at well.UUCP
Fri Jul 14 06:04:36 AEST 1989

This is my first news posting ... please be gentle.

I have just subscribed to UUNET and I am trying to install Version
2.11 B of netnews on my Compaq 386/20/4MB RAM running SCO XENIX 386
Version 2.3.1.  The software seems to compile just fine, but when
I try to run readnews or postnews I get the following error:

readnews: Segmentation violation -- Core dumped

Also, should I be installing C news?  Can someone tell me how to get
it from the well or via anonymous UUCP?

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice in solving this
problem, and getting the netnews software properly installed.

Being new to Unix communications and Usenet, I have been learning a
great deal (but not quite enough) from two fine books on the subjects:

Managing uucp and Usenet
O'Reilly & Associates

Unix Communications
by Bart Anderson, Bryan Costales, and Harry Henderson
Howard W. Sams & Company

Your patience is appreciated.