problems with ungetty

Frank C. Paterra paterra at cs.odu.edu
Mon Aug 20 03:12:14 AEST 1990

I'm having some problems with using a phone liune for both dial
in and dial out.  Here is the set up

sco xenix 2.2.3, ps/2 model 80 ('386)
anvil stallion 16 port intel. card
2 telephone lines with hayes comp. modems

Ok, The two lines, tty400 and tty401, are both enabled and they
re owned by uucp and in group uucp.  When nobody is calling out
and I look at the permissions, theyar are both set for -rw--w--w
.  When ungetty is run (by either pcomm or uucico) the line is
shown as in use.  When I type ungetty at the unix prompt and
check the return code, it shows that hte line is successfully
disabled, but if I then do a ps, I see that a getty is still
running.  ungetty is owned by uucp.  I tryed making it owned by
root, but that did no good either.

So what is wrong?  What can I do?

--
Frank Paterra