problems with ungetty

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Aug 20 07:16:08 AEST 1990

In article <PATERRA.90Aug19131214 at raedwald.cs.odu.edu> paterra at cs.odu.edu (Frank C. Paterra) writes:

| Ok, The two lines, tty400 and tty401, are both enabled and they
| re owned by uucp and in group uucp.  When nobody is calling out
| and I look at the permissions, theyar are both set for -rw--w--w
| .  When ungetty is run (by either pcomm or uucico) the line is
| shown as in use.  When I type ungetty at the unix prompt and
| check the return code, it shows that hte line is successfully
| disabled, but if I then do a ps, I see that a getty is still
| running.

  Sounds right to me. The way it should work is that ungetty sends a
signal to getty, and getty closes the tty so the next process can use
it. When that process is finished it should send *another* signal to
getty to tell it to terminate. Then init will restart another getty on
the line, to repeat the init code.

  I would expect the getty to still be there, but I can't try it because
every line on this system is busy.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX