Xenix installation failed at "L" test

Barton A. Fisk barton at holston.UUCP
Fri Aug 17 10:41:24 AEST 1990

In article <15823 at s.ms.uky.edu>, simon at ms.uky.edu (G. Simon Gales) writes:
> About these diagnostic routines, I've seen mention of A-S, there are probably
> more.  How about a complete list of what these are?  Would help a lot here,
> since we do a lot of setting up for our customers.

I have an old scrap of paper from SCO that *does not* say confidential
on it so here goes:

Installation Boot Letter Sequence:

A	Startup
B	memory sizing
C	momory sizing
D,E,F   dinit
G	allocation of memory for processes
H	"mem-" message
I,J     mmu craft
K,L     cinit
M 	binit
O	tasktime
P	"boot off floppy message"
Q,R	init
S,T,U	mfree
V	first call to new process
W,X	first call to scheduler
Y,Z 	return from main

This is a very old piece of paper dated 7-24-87 so it may
(probably isn't) not be applicable to current versions.
But it may help someone.

BTW, it says if bootup stops on A,B or C probably incompatible
machine or a defective memory card. If it stops at O, the cause
is the cpu flooded with interrupts, indicating bad peripherals.

I have no idea what the cinit and binit routines do. Maybe
someone else can comment.

Bart
--
uucp: holston!barton