Unresolved externals when compiling EMACS with GCC.

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 00:11:09 AEST 1990

In article <4540NU013809 at NDSUVM1> NU013809 at NDSUVM1.BITNET (Greg Wettstein) writes:

> When I poked around in the gcc
> distribution that I FTP'ed from robobar

Hah.  I *wish* you could have FTP'd _anything_ from robobar.  We don't
have Internet access (sob!) You must have got it from one of our friends...

> EMACS seems to run very well compiled under gcc and the resulting exectuable
> was about 13129 bytes smaller

Hm.. did you remember to remove alloca.o from the link command line in the
Makefile ? it would have saved you another 30 whole bytes !! (:-)

> I was wondering if anyone had
> the patches which are needed to make EMACS work properly with select under
> XENIX 2.3.2.

I don't think you need much.  I recall just enabling one of the HPUX
defines which used 0 instead of the except_fd's to get it to work
(having defined HAVE_SELECT as well, of course).  No guarantees, this
was a while back.

Then I took it out again because it doesn't work under SXT's and I'd rather
have job control than select() right at the moment.  It might be nice to
be able to select which select() to use at run time, so

	if (running under an sxt) {
		use emacs fake select()
	} else {
		use real select()
	}

but that was more than a one line hack, so I haven't got round to it.

(Anyone at SCO interested in making sxt's work with select() ? :-) That
 would be the _real_ solution, of course.)

Defining HAVE_PTYS was really useful though.  The only use I have for
EMACS is as a window system for GDB -- I'm from the vi camp -- and M-x
gdb is pretty hopeless without HAVE_PTYS.  Doesn't work under 2.3.1
though.

--
Eunet: Ronald.Khoo at robobar.Co.Uk  Phone: +44 81 991 1142  Fax: +44 81 998 8343
Paper: Robobar Ltd. 22 Wadsworth Road, Perivale, Middx., UB6 7JD ENGLAND.