Unresolved externals when compiling EMACS with GCC.

Greg Wettstein NU013809 at NDSUVM1.BITNET
Wed Aug 22 00:29:54 AEST 1990

I wanted to send a note to thank everyone who came up with the reason why
the loader was failing with an unresolved externals message when EMACS
was being compiled with gcc.

The problem was as most people predicted it would be and that was the failure
to include the GNU `helper' routines.  When I poked around in the gcc
distribution that I FTP'ed from robobar I found the routines in an object
library called gcc-gnulib.  Appending a -lgcc-gnulib to the makefile resulted
in a clean compilation and load of EMACS.

EMACS seems to run very well compiled under gcc and the resulting exectuable
was about 13129 bytes smaller than the executable produced by the Microsoft
compiler.  In the scope of a half-a-megabyte executable this is probably not
really significant but is offered as a point of interest.

As long as we are discussing GCC and EMACS I was wondering if anyone had
the patches which are needed to make EMACS work properly with select under
XENIX 2.3.2.  I seem to remember some patches floating by in this newsgroup
but I haven't been able to locate them.  Any pointers to where they might
be found would be appreciated.  Thanks once again for the previous answers
and anything that might be forthcoming on select.

                             As always,
                             Dr. G.W. Wettstein
                             Roger Maris Cancer Center Computing Facility

                             UUCP: uunet!plains!wind!greg
                             INTERNET: greg%wind.uucp at plains.nodak.edu
                             Phone: 701-234-2833

`The truest mark of a man's wisdom is his ability to listen to other
 men expound their wisdom.'