Xenix Compatibility

Bill Campbell campbell at Thalatta.COM
Fri Aug 10 00:05:51 AEST 1990

In article <1922 at hsi86.hsi.UUCP> tankus at hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) writes:
:I have just about decided to buy the machine shown in the Keywords:.
:Yes, I WANT a 286.
:
Takes all kinds...  Some people are just masochists.

:From the spec sheet, the motherboard has 1Meg expandable to 8Meg.
:Memory is page-mode SIMMS.  The machine uses an AMI BIOS and comes
:with a 1.2M floppy, 1:1 controller, Fujitsu 101-keyboard, and two year
:parts and labor.
:
:I plan to fill in the memory myself and install a Paradise VGA+ 16
:graphics card with a multisync monitor.  I also have a WD1006
:controller I might swap for the stock controller.  I haven't
:decided on a hard drive yet.
:
I would stay away from the Paradise VGA+ 16 board.  I had a
problem that drove me crazy for weeks where I couldn't write
floppy disks reliably, and I finally tracked it down to the
16-bit Paradise VGA board.  I only found this after posting a
question to this news group, and someone from sco pointed out
that similar problems had occurred with the HP-vectra and 16-bit
VGA boards.

The 8-bit VGA works fine (and so do my floppy drives).

The above discussion probably doesn't apply to the 286 (I hadn't
noticed that this machine was a 286 when I started posting this
response), just when the operating system is running in protected
mode.  It was a big enough of a pain to me that someone else
might find it useful.

:So the question is ... has anyone used, or is anyone using, this or
:another DFI box?  Any problems running SCO Xenix 286??
:
:I review this group frequently so please post your replies here.  The
:information may help someone else.
:
:Thanks!
:--
:Ed Tankus.   {uunet,yale}!hsi!tankus -- OR -- tankus at hsi.com
:Snail:       3M Health Information Systems
:             100 Barnes Road, Wallingford, CT 06492
:Bell :       (203) 949-6358

--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way