Logging In as UUCP to Set crontab

Steven M. List itkin at mrspoc.Transact.COM
Wed Aug 22 07:52:54 AEST 1990

jpp at tygra.ddmi.com (John Palmer) writes:

>In article <25 at raysnec.UUCP> shwake at raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
>>markd at silogic.UUCP (Mark DiVecchio) writes:
>>
>>>I don't quite understand how I get a new uucp owned crontab into
>>>/usr/spool/cron/crontabs.
>>
>>>To do this for uucp, I need to login as uucp but, of course, the login
>>>shell is uucico so that won't work.

>Real simple: Login as root, and do this:

Nothing personal, John, but this is awfully kludgy.  I use something
that feels much simpler.

Log in as root, create the crontab, and then install it by using the
command "su uucp -c 'crontab file'"!

If you want to edit uucp's (or any other user's) crontab, you log in
as root and then start with "su uucp -c 'crontab -l > file'".  Then
edit it.  Then install it as indicated above.

I do this for uucp, news, and others of their ilk.