HELP: Unknown CPIO errors and problems

Alan Caldera alan at ferus.lonestar.org
Fri Aug 24 13:25:38 AEST 1990

In article <245 at twg.wimsey.bc.ca>, bill at twg.wimsey.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) writes:
> I  sure  hope  someone more familiar with cpio than I am reads  this  and
> takes  pity on me!  After a long search for some RM/Cobol-85 diskettes to
> recover a file, I can't read them.
>
> They  were written in cpio format (why I don't know) and the  description
> on  the label says to use "cpio -icdv </dev/fd096ds15".  We get an  error
> that  says  "Out  of  phase -- get help"  and  sometimes  "Cannot  create
> directory <>  (errno 2)".

 Its very possible that one of two things have occurred here:
     1)  its trashed
     2)  The command that was written on the label was wrong. Try this:

            cpio -iBcdv < /dev/rfd096ds15

  The backup could have been made to the raw device instead of the blocked
  one.

Hope this helps.
Alan Caldera (...texsun!letni!rwsys!ferus!alan)
alan at ferus.lonestar.org
alan at merch.TANDY.COM (forwarded)

#include <cute.disclaimer>
   None of the opinions expressed above represent those of my employer
and if they do, it is pure coincidence.