HELP: Unknown CPIO errors and problems

Bill Irwin bill at twg.wimsey.bc.ca
Sun Aug 26 17:40:43 AEST 1990

In <5756 at holston.UUCP> barton at holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) writes:

>In article <245 at twg.wimsey.bc.ca>, bill at twg.wimsey.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) writes:
>> I  sure  hope  someone more familiar with cpio than I am reads  this  and
>> takes  pity on me!  After a long search for some RM/Cobol-85 diskettes to
>> recover a file, I can't read them.
>>
>> They  were written in cpio format (why I don't know) and the  description
>> on  the label says to use "cpio -icdv </dev/fd096ds15".  We get an  error
>> that  says  "Out  of  phase -- get help"  and  sometimes  "Cannot  create
>> directory <>  (errno 2)".
>>
>Try this:

>1. Log in as root
>2. from root directory execute "mkdir rmcobol"
>3. execute "cd rmcobol"
>4. Load developement diskette
>5. execute "cpio -icdv < /dev/fd096ds15"

>I think your error may have been failure to make the rmcobol directory
>first, as errno 2 is directory spec'd in pathname doesn't exist.

I  have  tried  the cpio retrieval in a directory that  has  a  "rmcobol"
directory  beneith it, but same error message.  Anyway, I thought the "d"
flag was supposed to tell cpio to make directories as needed?

Since  you  know about the rmcobol directory, can I correctly assume  you
have  RM/Cobol  on your system?  If you have RM/Cobol-85 2.02 and have  a
file  called "runtime.o" in your rmcobol directory, and would be  willing
to  send it to me, send me mail to arrange this.  The reason I am  asking
for  help with the cpio problem is that I need this one file in order  to
recompile the runcobol.

Hope my guess is right.
--
Bill Irwin    -   TWG The Westrheim Group     -    Vancouver, BC, Canada