XENIX 2.3.2 include files...

J.T. Conklin jtc at motcad.portal.com
Mon Aug 20 05:19:11 AEST 1990

In article <1536 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>The gcc compiler compiles gcc, not C.

Just as the Microsoft compiler compiles "Microsoft C", and the pcc
derived compilers compile "PCC C".  I am unaware of any C compiler
which everyone will agree is the "One True C Compiler".

In fact, it could be argued that gcc will eclipse pcc as the de facto
standard C compiler as vendors abandon pcc due to poor performance, etc.

>It is useful for compiling some
>net programs which make heavy use of the "extensions" to the language.

I haven't seen any "net programs" that really use the gcc extensions.
The only extension I use myself is the function inlining directive, but
I always disable it with a:

	#ifndef __GNUC__
	#define inline
	#endif

if I'm not compiling with gcc.

>The Xenix C compiler often won't compile some vaild code, and gcc is
>useful there, too. In UNIX you have rcc (real cc) and can compile most
>things with that.

I use gcc on SCO Xenix/UNIX for the following reasons:

	* It generates correct code.

	* It understands ANSI C function prototypes.

Niether compiler from SCO meets both criteria.

	--jtc

--
J.T. Conklin	UniFax Communications, Inc.

		CADnet Inc, San Ramon California
		jtc at motcad.portal.com, ...!portal!motcad!jtc