problems with ungetty

Chris Gonnerman jcg at tree.uucp
Tue Aug 28 03:47:19 AEST 1990

We are running XENIX System V and are having extensive problems with out
dial-in/dial-out port also.  We are using a SupraModem 2400 and have
experienced the same problems using it on a multiport board and on
"COM1" (tty1A).

We have a line in Devices that looks like:

ACU tty3A - 1200-2400 /usr/lib/uucp/dialHA24

The port is enabled as usual.  After some (but not all) uucp dial-outs,
the port will "hang" in one or both of these ways:

- modem not returned to ATS0=1 (won't autoanswer)
- getty won't respond after connection

This has been verified to happen only after uucp dial-outs, and seems to
occur randomly otherwise (i.e. successful vs. unsuccessful connections
make no difference).

The system worked flawlessly until just recently.  We installed the most
recent upgrade to XENIX (I forget what number exactly) about 1 month
ago, but the problem first started just before the upgrade (1 week
prior), indicating that the upgrade should not be to blame.

I have run out of ideas.  Any suggestions?