SCO XENIX 2.3.2 won't support 2 disc controllers??

gson at niksula.hut.fi gson at niksula.hut.fi
Sun Aug 19 23:18:27 AEST 1990

In article <243 at twg.wimsey.bc.ca> bill at twg.wimsey.bc.ca (Bill Irwin) writes:
> I was just advised by someone in our organization that SCO XENIX 2.3.2
> will not support two hard disc controllers simultaneously.  Does anyone
> have any experience that would confirm or negate this?

Negate.  SCO Xenix 2.3.2 (at least the 386 version) does support two
disk controllers (ST506, don't know about SCSI), but the support seems
mostly undocumented.  Someone posted instructions for configuring the
secondary driver a year or two ago, anyone still have them?

Another problem is that most controllers don't have jumpers for
changing the I/O address and interrupt line.  This can usually be
overcome with some cutting and soldering.

Additionally, the secondary controller may not be reset properly at
boot time because the BIOS doesn't know about multiple controllers.
You may need to write a small device driver that resets the controller
and recalibrates the disk before it is mounted.
--
Andreas Gustafsson
Internet: gson at niksula.hut.fi
Voice: +358 0 563 5592