cron FIFO in mounted spool filesystem

Chip Rosenthal chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM
Sat Aug 4 10:40:29 AEST 1990

In article <GAR.90Jul27181633 at spiff.UUCP> gar at spiff.UUCP (Gordon Runkle) writes:
>In article <8353 at scorn.sco.COM> rogerk at sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) writes:
>   He suggests either to hack /etc/rc.d to reverse the order (and neither he
>   nor I recommend doing this) or pick some lower directory than /usr/spool
>   (/usr/spool/news) and make _that_ the mounted file system.
>Why is putting the cron startup after the filesystems mount bad?

A bit of context.  I was reading into the situation that it was the size
of /usr/spool/news which was pushing the original poster into creating a
/usr/spool filesystem.  If that was the case, I suggested that making it
just a news filesystem was a good idea for two reasons:  first it doesn't
break /etc/rc.d/*, and second if your filesystem fills you aren't going
to get mail messages and such dropped on the floor.

Certainly, starting cron after the mount would work, and arguably that's
a much more sensible sequence.  But I'm a strong believer of keeping news
off in a seperate corner.  I'm a subscriber to the "Gaseous Theory of
USENET" (news expands to occupy the available volume).

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean