problems with ungetty

Bill Campbell campbell at Thalatta.COM
Tue Aug 21 00:43:51 AEST 1990

In article <PATERRA.90Aug19131214 at raedwald.cs.odu.edu> paterra at cs.odu.edu (Frank C. Paterra) writes:
:I'm having some problems with using a phone liune for both dial
:in and dial out.  Here is the set up
:
:sco xenix 2.2.3, ps/2 model 80 ('386)
:anvil stallion 16 port intel. card
:2 telephone lines with hayes comp. modems
:
:Ok, The two lines, tty400 and tty401, are both enabled and they
:re owned by uucp and in group uucp.  When nobody is calling out
:and I look at the permissions, theyar are both set for -rw--w--w
:.  When ungetty is run (by either pcomm or uucico) the line is
:shown as in use.  When I type ungetty at the unix prompt and
:check the return code, it shows that hte line is successfully
:disabled, but if I then do a ps, I see that a getty is still
:running.  ungetty is owned by uucp.  I tryed making it owned by
:root, but that did no good either.
:
:So what is wrong?  What can I do?
:
:--
:Frank Paterra
:paterra at cs.odu.edu

I think there may be a problem with your modem or the Stallion
drivers.  getty shouldn't even be running unless CD is up on the
modem line.  Would it be logical for getty to get out of the way
if it thought it was in the process of answering an incoming call?
--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way