different Printers on SCO XENIX 2.3.3

Tillmann Basien tb at pemstgt.gtc.de
Sat Aug 18 17:01:39 AEST 1990

jbayer at ispi.COM (Jonathan Bayer) writes:

>tb at pemstgt.gtc.de (Tillmann Basien) writes:

>>hy,
>>	I want to install more then one printer on SCO XENIX 2.3.3, with
>>	are attached to the same physikal device. On this device /dev/lp1
>>	is a laserprinter with manny different emulations.

>>	Printer 1: ibmlp	/dev/lp1
>>	Printer 2: hpjet	/dev/lp1
>>	Printer 3: doku		/dev/lp1
>>	Printer 4: listing	/dev/lp1

>This is in general NOT A GOOD IDEA.  The spooler expects for there to be
>one script for each device, it doesn't do any locking of printer devices
>beyond locking the printer name.

>A workaround that works most of the time is to put a line at the
>beginning of each script that disables all the other printers, and at
>the end of the script that re-enables all the other printers.  It is
>still possible to get a race condition here, but in general it works
>fairly well.

>A better solution would be to make the scripts re-spool the print jobs
>to another printer.  These scripts would be treated as network printers,
>and the final printer defination would be the only script that actually
>prints the documents.  I have made this work a while ago, but I don't
>have the source.
But what happens if someone will cancel his printing jobs. If I understand,
you will collect all printing jobs from different printers to one which
will spool slowly out the date. So you get two printing job ids. The first
on will be told the user, second one will be an annonymos id.
--
Dipl.Ing. Tillmann Basien                Programmentwicklung fuer Microcomputer
Vaihinger Str.49, PostBox 810165		      +49-711-713047	FAX