Altos 2086 Xenix Questions

Jan Christiaan van Winkel jc at atcmp.nl
Mon Aug 13 23:55:54 AEST 1990

I have a couple of questions regarding the Altos 2086 system.  I recently
acquired an Altos 2086, but it seems no-one here supports the beast
anymore, or can answer my questions. Help is appreciated!

1)
I was informed that the latest version of the Xenix kernel is Xenix system
III.4. However, in an availability list for Elan's Eroff product, the
combination Altos 2086/system V is mentioned. Who is right?

2)
The assembler that is in the development package simply does not work
(3.2). It core dumps after startup. Looking at the code with adb, I could
see a jump outside asm's text area, so probably the file asm is bad.
Reloading it from the distribution diskette does not help.

3)
pass 2 of the C compiler (version 3.2) hangs on some source files. It just
eats CPU cycles. After I installed the 3.2 beta release of the 2nd pass of
the compiler, this behavior disappeared. Are any newer versions of the
compiler available?

Thanks!
--