CMS Jumbo tape drive and 2.3.2

Bill Campbell campbell at Thalatta.COM
Tue Aug 14 00:20:20 AEST 1990

In article <265 at bradf.UUCP> brad at bradf.UUCP (Bradley W. Fisher) writes:
:In article <28 at herctec.UUCP>, root at herctec.UUCP (Super user) writes:
:>
:> 	My setup:
:|
:| 	Xenix 286 2.3.2, Update level R
:|
:| 	My problem:  I just installed a Colorado Memory Systems "Jumbo"
:| mini tape drive that attaches to my floppy controller.  I installed this
:| in a DOS machine and it worked beautifully.  Soooo, I thought I'd put it
:| in my Xenix box [.........]
:|
:| 	Followed everything by the book (several times), but "format
:| /dev/rctmini" pauses for a few seconds, then spins the floppy drive,
:| then eventually comes back with "can't open /dev/rctmini."
:|
:The last time I ran up against one of these drives, I had the same
:problem. A client asked me to move it from a DOS box to their new SCO
:XENIX unit. After having the same kind of problems,I finally found out that
:there are two versions of the PAL on the controller board ... one for DOS, and
:one for XENIX (or so the fourth person I talked to at CMS said!).
:
:Fortunately, I was able to talk my client into putting the CMS back into the
:DOS machine ... and putting a Wangtek 5150EK into the XENIX box.
:
:--
:I'm just a wanna be UNIX guru (IJWBUG)               | Micro Maintenance, Inc.
:						     | 2465 W. 12th St. #6
:	-== Brad Fisher ==- 		             | Tempe, Arizona  85281
:...!asuvax!mcdphx!hrc!microm!bradf!brad		     | 602/894-5526

The basic problem is the the proper device when using the CMS
drives is /dev/rmt0 NOT /dev/rctmini.

--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way