MWC's Coherent - A Lemon...

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Mon May 28 05:16:18 AEST 1990

hwajin at daahoud.wrs.com (Hwa Jin Bae) writes:
>In article <2803 at crash.cts.com> jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>   Try mixing Sun with an Appletalk to ethernet gateway and throw in a few PC's
>   Also, I don't have any idea what you 'hacked' into your realtime OS.  If
>   reasonable.  Or even better yet, try throwing in a network of Macs with
>   ethernet boards.
>
>Wrong assumptions. The network I have here does include a PC running
>PC NFS and a Gatorbox Appletalk gateway and various other vendors'
>machines, in addtion to the ~30 Sun Workstations and a few file
>servers.  We also have multiple Macs with ethernet boards on the
>network.  I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here; are you
>saying that PC's and Mac's will affect the throughput limit of a
>segment of ethernet?

Anything can affect the throughput of an ethernet.  If one machine that is
part of the network chatter is not up to the speed in processing data (i.e. a
slow ethernet card) then it can and often times will affect the through put of
the entire network.  Overload the Appletalk/ethernet gateway with a large
number of Macs telnet'ing into one or more Suns and that will slow things down
well since the gateway has to service all of these Macs as well as handle all
of the ethernet traffic going into the Appletalk network.

The issue is that a lot of things can happen that will make ethernet slower
than molasses and it can be in either hardware or software.

I've found that from experience that Macs and PC's are the biggest offenders
to mucking up ethernet throughput.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca