MWC's Coherent - A Lemon...

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Fri May 25 12:56:02 AEST 1990

hwajin at daahoud.wrs.com (Hwa Jin Bae) writes:
>In article <2755 at crash.cts.com> jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>> Yes, but that's a quiet ethernet.  What I'm referring to is a real noisy
>> ethernet that is being used.
>> Let me setup a real network of the order of 10+ machines with varying
>> performance on the ethernet and I will bet that the performance will be about
>> 3 Mbit per second on a good day.
>
>Not true at all.  Even with "a real network" I have here with 30+ various sun
>workstations (sparcStations, 3/60's, etc.) and servers (plenty of NFS
>traffic), burst throughput performance of around 600 MegBytes/sec can be
>sustained without causing meltdowns.  This is using severly hacked version
>of 4.3 BSD Tahoe TCP/IP running within our realtime OS on a 16Mhz 68020
>VME SBC with an onboard LANCE chip.

Try mixing Sun with an Appletalk to ethernet gateway and throw in a few PC's
Also, I don't have any idea what you 'hacked' into your realtime OS.  If
reasonable.  Or even better yet, try throwing in a network of Macs with
ethernet boards.

Also, I don't have any idea what you 'hacked' into your realtime OS.  If
ethernet performance was a high priority, then you obviously did some fudging
to bump up the performance.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca