Pathalias Problem

william E Davidsen davidsen at zephyrus.Berkeley.EDU
Wed May 9 06:27:15 AEST 1990

In article <6145 at ucrmath.UCR.EDU>, gumby at ucrmath.UCR.EDU (john donahue) writes:

> It complains that the "arg list too long" and terminates. I moved some of
> the files to another directory temporarily so that it will work again
> (when this failed, my "paths" file was truncated to 0 so then "smail"
> would no longer resolve domain addresses).

  This means the list is larger than the buffer size for argv (I believe
5k). A new version of getopt won't help, you never get that far. I
solved it by writing a little sed script which accepted the names of all
the files as input and output only the non-comment lines. I put all USA
in one file, all domain, world other than usa, etc. Then I pathalias the
combined files.

  The script is a one liner, maybe even two lines, like:
	sed "
	s/#.*$//
	/^$/d
	" u.usa.* >usa.all