Pathalias Problem

Dave Hammond daveh at marob.masa.com
Wed May 9 10:30:20 AEST 1990

In article <6145 at ucrmath.UCR.EDU> gumby at ucrmath.ucr.edu (john donahue) writes:
>/usr/lib/uucp/pathalias -i /usr/spool/uucp/Maps/* > /tmp/paths
>It complains that the "arg list too long" and terminates.
>So, do I need a better version of "getopt ()" than the one supplied
>by SCO?

This message is generated by the shell (not getopt), when the number of
characters in the argument vector to some program exceeds the limit
imposed by execv() -- around 5000 characters, as I recall.  Try changing
to /usr/spool/uucp/Maps before running the command, as in:

cd /usr/lib/uucp/Maps
/usr/lib/uucp/pathalias -i * > /tmp/paths

This will reduce the number of chars passed to getopt by 18 (the length
of /usr/lib/uucp/Maps) for each file to be processed.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh at marob.masa.com
uunet!masa.com!marob!daveh